21 April 2012

Easter Wrap Up

Ah yes, Easter. That good old Christian holiday. Some use it celebrate the resurrection of Christ. Others just get horribly drunk for 4 days. Some of us though, go climbing.

Easter is that time of year on the climbing calendar that sees the hordes appear. Baddie traddie types, group abseilers, boulderers, dirtbaggers, slackliners(!?), families, mates, kiddies, the lot.

For Arapiles especially, it's a pretty chaotic time. Fortunately for me, I am still semi located in Natimuk. No crowded campsites. No clanging of hexes in the morning. Bliss!

This Easter I got to team up with some old partners in crime, Scotty Clarke and Chris Trapnell, along with Joshy and Ash. Along with dropin's by Arnie, Scoots, Timmy Le, Papa Al and The Crowe sisters, (the last few you may not know but are pretty tops in my book!)

Scotty Clarke!
Klop at home with the crew
Climbing wise its was a pretty good trip. Joshy knocked off a couple of sweet 29's (Wagalak and Jetlag) and Trappers and Ash smashed out Have A Good Flight (25) in impressive fashion. Ash took it down on her second day as a warmup, and Trappers clipped the chains 5 minutes before he took off to pack up camp and drive 4 hours back to Melbourne, to catch a flight to Brisbane that evening.

Scotty and I spent a few days on Wagalak. I came within a hold of sending that puppy but tore a hole in my finger.....over rover. Scotty was not far behind either.

Trappers on Spasm in a Chasm (25)
Me about to rip a hole in my pinkie on Wagalak. 
And here it is....
Bigger news though was Easter = GOATFEST!

Chapel Street South Melbourne or Main Street Natimuk?
Goatfest is the annual Natimuk film festival, and this was the first one I got to attend. It was a bit cool too going as a 'local'. With a packed out crowd in the Memorial Hall, curry slops, and a cold beer, we settled in for a night of entertainment. Plenty of great videos, from locals to internationals. Even old mate S. Weill had a video.....


Simons Video

First up it goes without saying that the Nati crew who organises this every year do a fantastic job. I wont start rattling off names because its a huge team effort and on a whole they should be thanked and recognised.

Secondly, I suupose a congratulations is order for Simon, who managed to take out both the Viewers and Judges choice awards. Both bloody awards! As if he didn't need something else to hold over the rest of us! But his video was definitely a crowd favourite, and had a different flavour, lets say, to the rest of the videos. So big up to Simon!


The winner and Scootsy enjoying la cafe
Just faking interest in Simons gloating.
But it is getting exciting at the moment! Josh is about 3 weeks away from his move out west to start a 2 month stint as a country paramedic and I'm plugging away trying to work out how I can re-work uni to allow me more time in Nati. I've been locked down the last 10 days knocking off reports, assignment, and mid semester exams. Josh and I have had a couple of epic training sessions, which for reasons I am yet unsure of, has spurred on some motivation to CONTINUE training on my part. Who'da thunk it!?

The last weeks hideout
So thats about it for the moment. I'm sitting here typing and watching the Slovenia bouldering comp. On a Saturday night. Sad I know..... But next weekend its back out to Nati, get some climbing in, maybe even bolt something :D I'll keep you posted on that one ;)

Not a bad drop....

-TheBigAl


No comments:

Post a Comment